The Massachusetts Fair Housing Center (MFHC) is seeking one or more full-time Staff Attorneys. MFHC is the oldest fair housing agency in Massachusetts. Our mission is to end systemic housing discrimination through education, outreach, legal advocacy, housing counseling, and enforcement. MFHC provides life-changing legal services to victims of housing discrimination. Our work preserves tenancies, prevents homelessness, creates lead-safe housing for children, protects victims of domestic violence and hate crimes, provides greater housing opportunities for recipients of rental assistance, and allows people with disabilities to enjoy equal access to housing and the ability to live with greater independence and dignity.
- Represent victims of housing discrimination by investigating, developing, and litigating fair housing cases before administrative agencies and in federal and state court;
- Supervise fair housing testing activities;
- Supervise law students, interns, and volunteers;
- Conduct fair housing/fair lending educational workshops and seminars in a variety of settings;
- Maintain full and accurate case files and assist in maintaining a database for grant reporting;
- Assist with other projects as assigned.
- Licensed to practice law in Massachusetts, or could be admitted to practice by starting date
- Litigation experience in housing, land use, or civil rights case preferred
- Strong commitment to social justice and public interest law
- Superior writing skills
- Well-organized with excellent attention to detail
- Training and public speaking experience
- Reliable transportation and the ability to travel in and out of state
- Computer literacy
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a small nonprofit environment
- Ability to work well with individuals from diverse backgrounds
- Bilingual English/Spanish a plus
Salary: Dependent upon experience; includes paid holidays.
Hours: This position requires some nights and weekends as needed. Some remote work is possible.
Office Location: Holyoke, MA
The Massachusetts Fair Housing Center is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace free of discrimination. MFHC does not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including pregnancy and parenting status), disability, age, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or genetic information. We encourage individuals from historically marginalized communities to apply.
Please send cover letter, resume, writing sample, and contact information for three professional references to email@example.com. Email is preferred but you may also submit requested documents by regular mail to: Massachusetts Fair Housing Center, 57 Suffolk Street, Holyoke, MA 01040.
This position will be open until filled. We are seeking to fill this position as soon as possible. For additional information: www.massfairhousing.org